Award Winning Foundation!
- 2015 Myra Kraft Community MVP Award
- 2014 primary speaker at the first Flutie Foundation Partner Summit
- 2011 Massachusetts Recreation and Park Association Program Outreach Award
- Co-Founders named 2009 Scituate Citizens of the Year
- 2008 Massachusetts Community Partnership Award from the Federation for Children with Special Needs
The Scituate CORSE Foundation (Community of Resources for Special Education), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, was established in February of 2006 by a group of dedicated parents and educators to raise funds to provide the highest quality educational, social and recreational community experiences so children with special needs, ages 3-22, can reach their full potential. Through fundraising activities, the Foundation is able to allocate funds for a wide range of supplemental resources that will benefit children, parents and educators within our community.
To Make a Donation:
Please click here for information about making a monetary or stock donation to help CORSE provide needed support to children with special needs.
Links to Photos/Videos/Presentations:
Video: Community Reflections on the Impact of CORSE
CORSE Photos (Shutterfly website)
SEE YOUR KIDS IN ACTION!
Pictures of CORSE Programming
2015 Gala: 10th Anniversary Music Video
2015 Gala: Testimonials
CORSE Kids on Wahlburgers TV Show
Myra Kraft Community MVP Award
Additional Footage of CORSE Kids at Wahlburgers
2014 Gala Music Video-Tribute to All Stars Coach Mike
CORSE Overview Presentation (revised July 2015)
Very Special Entertainment from 2013 Gala
2013 Gala Photo Slideshow
2012 Golf Tournament Music Video
2011 Gala Music Video
2011 Golf Tournament Music Video
2010 Maritime Adventures Music Video
To read testimonials from parents, guardians, peer mentors and volunteers: click here
To Make an Online Payment:
To make an online payment to CORSE, please enter your invoice or statement number below and click the 'pay now' button below. Please put the amount you are paying in the 'Item Price' box (which reads $0) and click update. That updated amount will be charged to your credit/debit card or PayPal account.
With our sincere thanks!
2015 ended with a milestone event for CORSE as we celebrated our 10th Annual Gala! CORSE started with a vision of 2 people, Marynell Henry and Tracy Johnston in January 2006, was incorporated as a non-profit on February 14, 2006 and has now grown to a board of 15 and a member constituency of over 3,000 participants (ALL volunteers, representing parents of children with special needs, parents who have all typically developing children, educators and community members) interested in supporting the Foundation’s efforts to provide the highest quality educational, social and recreational community experiences so children with special needs can participate alongside their friends and neighbors and reach their full potential.
This has been accomplished thanks to our donors and supporters. Because of this generous community, CORSE is able to continue providing high quality programs for ALL children in the community, regardless of need. We are a model other communities admire and recognize. CORSE has increased understanding of the challenges friends’ and neighbors’ face raising children with special needs and brought down many barriers. We are forever grateful and appreciative of the kindness, compassion and generosity of our donors and supporters.
We would like to sincerely thank our 2015 donors (click here for list) for your incredible on-going support to CORSE. Since 2006, we have run 331 programs with 4,330 registrations and 871 volunteer mentors investing over $775,000 back into our community through programming and resources.
Programming and highlights from CORSE over 2015 – thanks to you:
- 2015 Myra Kraft Community MVP Award second prize winner from the New England Patriots Foundation
- Three successful community fundraisers (Gala, Golf Tournament and North Pole Express) raising over $70,000
- $40,000 in additional grants and individual donations
- Integrated social development programs
- Integrated academic support programs
- Integrated and specialized sports programs
- Integrated socially-based summer camps
- iCan Bike returned to Scituate to teach 30 kids how to ride a two-wheeler this summer
- Maritime Adventures specialty camp: sailing, windsurfing, paddleboarding and canoeing
- Customized peer mentor and Best Buddies models; we again were filled to maximum capacity with 48 Gates and 77 High School Best Buddies participants!
- An Elementary Best Buddies pilot began with 18 students
- SibShops for siblings of children with special needs returned!
- Let’s Go Community Events: movies, dining out, skiing;
- Over $8,500 provided to families for financial and/or accessibility assistance
- Music therapy and Yoga for the Early Childhood Center and the district’s intensive needs classrooms at Hatherly and Gates; these programs expanded to 25 weeks as well as a yoga pilot for the Early Childhood Center
- A band consultant from South Shore Conservatory for the Gates Band
- Technology purchases for the district
- Professional development and curriculum for the district
- Educational programs and resource materials for parents, including presentations by Katy Shamitz and Sarah Ward
- HS scholarships to 11 students totaling $4,500, given not only to students who overcame challenges utilizing special education services but also to dedicated CORSE volunteers
For a listing of donors click here.
Winter Recreation Program Registration
Registration for Scituate Recreation programs begins Wednesday December 9n at 7 PM for Scituate Residents and December 16 for non-Scituate residents. Please click here for more information.
Thank you from Scituate North Pole Express 2015
We would like to express our gratitude and thank everyone who helped make the 8th Annual Scituate North Pole Express on Sunday, December 13th a tremendous success. With over 2,700 people attending and many of them visiting from outside of our community, they all got a taste of Scituate hospitality at its finest. What a pleasure it is to live in such a giving and generous community. The proceeds from this event benefitted both the Scituate CORSE Foundation (Community of Resources for Special Education) and SHORE (Scituate High Opportunities and Resources for Education).
Everyone did an amazing job and delighted hundreds of children, due in large part to Scituate High School student volunteers! During the course of the day, 168 students volunteeredas elves, Santa helpers, Frosty, Rudolph, other winter holiday characters and platform crew!! (to read more click here)
New, EASY way to help raise money for CORSE!
Already shopping at Amazon? It's just a click away!
AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon that lets customers enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices, and convenient shopping features as on Amazon.com. The difference is that when customers shop on AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com), the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charitable organizations selected by customers.
Signing up is so easy!
To support CORSE, open the regular Amazon.com site:
- Log in to your amazon account
- Copy and paste http://smile.amazon.com/ into the browser bar
(Bookmark this page for future use!)
- Click on "Your Account"
- Select Change your Charity. Type CORSE in the box labeled "Or
pick your own charitable organization".
- You will see Scituate CORSE Foundation North Scituate
- Click on the Select button and you are done!
Vest T-shirt front T-shirt back
Reversible Vests - $29 (very high quality material)
Long Sleeve T-Shirts - $12
Shipping $5, FREE delivery within Scituate
Click here to order: CORSE Apparel Orders
(L to R) CORSE President Tracy Johnston, State Representative Jim Cantwell
and 2015 Compass Award Winner Mariah Avallone
Thank You for Another Fabulous CORSE Foundation Gala!
Once again, our community came out to support the Scituate CORSE Foundation (Community of Resources for Special Education) at our10th Annual Gala on October 17th. We were once again overwhelmed by our heart-warming and generous guests, the unbelievable auction items and many touching moments. We hope everyone had a wonderful evening!
CORSE would like to acknowledge all those individuals and businesses that donated to and participated in the event’s success. None of this would be possible without our Gala Committee (Anne Lambert Allen, Mariah Avallone, Cassi Belmarsh, Melissa Burrill, Kathleen Cozzi, Suzanne Erwin, Judi Johnson, Tracy Johnston, Janet McDonough, Julie McLaughlin, Jennifer Novak, Melissa O’Brien, Jennifer O’Neill, Gwen Rodgers, Carolyn Timmons), Scituate Country Club, Mariah Avallone (our COMPASS Award winner, SCTV and Susan Dillman (Video Presentation).
Registration for Academic Year 2015-16
Scituate Public Schools Academic and Social Programs
Single Academic Year Cycle: November – March with extended December Holiday break
CORSE programs are open to ALL Scituate Public School students, unless designated, and are staffed appropriately so that children with special needs can successfully participate in them.
Circle of Friends (PreK)
Elementary Best Buddies (Ages 6-10)
Science & Technology Explorers (Grades 3-6)
PLC/ILC Social Explorers (Grades K-6)
SibShops (Ages 8-15)
Registration deadline is October 16th. There is a $25 late registration fee for any forms received after October 16th. Financial Assistance Available
For more information regarding courses offered and how to register please go to:
Programs and Registration
Fall Program Registration
All Stars Nautical Mile Open to ALL Towns
Our Very Popular program with Brian Stewart is back for the Fall, designed for ALL abilities to help improve your fitness level. Sundays: Starts September 27, 6 weeks 3-4:00 pm
All Stars Jiu Jitsu Open to ALL Towns
Our program has expanded into Jiu Jitsu, which is a more encompassing martial arts program than karate.
Starts Friday, October 16, 8 weeks 5:30-6:30pm
Healthtrax Swim Lessons for Children with Special Needs Open to ALL towns
Click here for more information on these three programs and to register
For 2015, these programs have been generously supported by grant funding received from the Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism, Grace E. Brooks Trust, Evan Henry Foundation, Scituate Rotary Club, Build A Bear Workshop, South Shore Playhouse Associates and Kate's Voice as well as our community fundraising supporters.
Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft and Patriots and
Football Hall of Famer Andre Tippett congratulate Tracy Johnston
CORSE Recipient of 2015 New England Patriots Myra Kraft Community MVP Award!
The New England Patriots Charitable Foundation Myra Kraft Community MVP Awards places a spotlight on those who give their time to help others and exemplify leadership, dedication and commitment to their communities through volunteerism. Thanks to a nomination from Mariah Avallone, Tracy Johnston received this esteemed award for her work with CORSE, and the CORSE Foundation received a grant of $10,000!
Thank you to our special community of parents, educators and supporters who helped make this happen. Special recognition to all CORSE Board Members, past and present, who have given so many volunteer hours to create a foundation that has provided such a valuable impact for ALL our community's children!
Thanks once again to our generous community!
Our 9th Annual Golf Tournament "Hit the Course for C.O.R.S.E." took place at at Scituate Country Club on June 19, 2015. We would like to thank all those individuals and businesses that donated to and participated in the success of the Golf Tournament, especially the following donors:
Event Sponsor Joe and Deb Annese
Dinner Sponsor – LaVangie Electric
Lunch Sponsor – Donald & Laura O'Keefe, in memory of Kay O'Keefe
Closest to Pin Sponsor -Harvey and Susan Gates
Longest Drive Sponsor – Hamel, Marcin, Dunn, Reardon & Shea, P.C., Bob
and Eileen Hamel
We are very grateful to all who contributed; we will continue to use these funds to provide valuable programming and resources to our community’s children, parents and educators.
Thank you to our donors!
2014 was another wonderful year for CORSE thanks to ALL of our phenomenal donors. Because of our generous community, we continue to provide integrated academic, social and recreational programs that are accessible for all of our community's kids to participate!
As 2014 has come to a close, we would like to sincerely thank you for your incredible on-going support to the CORSE foundation. Since 2006, we have run over 300 programs (301!) with 3,766 registrations and 736 program volunteers putting $625,000 back into our community through programming and resources.
Programming and highlights from CORSE during 2014 – thanks to you:
- 1 of 3 invited guest speakers for the first annual Doug Flutie Jr. Partner Summit to discuss CORSE programming
- CORSE kids appeared on Wahlburgers TV show!
- Integrated social development programs
- Integrated academic support programs
- Integrated sports programs: basketball, karate, running
- Specialized sports programs: swimming, tennis and gymnastics
- Integrated socially-based summer camps for youth, tweens and teens
- Maritime Adventures specialty camp with AccesSport America: sailing, windsurfing, paddleboarding and canoeing
- Customized peer mentor and Best Buddies models; we hit record high participation with 52 Gates and 71 High School Best Buddies participants!
- Let’s Go Community Events: movies, skating, dining out, skiing
- SibShops for siblings of children with special needs
- Over $10,000 provided to families for financial and/or accessibility assistance
- Music therapy and Yoga for the district’s intensive needs classrooms and a Gates Band consultant
- HS scholarships to 15 students, given not only to students who overcame challenges utilizing special education services but also to dedicated CORSE volunteers
- Professional development, curriculum and equipment for the district
- Educational programs and resource materials for parents
For a listing of donors, click here.
To Make a Donation:
Help provide needed support to children with special needs in our community through a contribution to our Foundation. For more information, please click here.
New, EASY Way to Help Raise Money for CORSE
If you are already shopping at Amazon it's just a click away! Click here for more information.
Federal Employees State Employees
City of Boston Employees